Heute soll nach Angaben von Rothberg, noch ein Client Update erfolgen, bei TSC und DČOL auf Version 1.2 !
Dear Community members,
we have reached our first mile stone in the development of D2OL Version 2.0 The release of version 1.2 is going ahead today after two weeks of beta testing by users from this community. At this point I would like to thank all beta testers for they invaluable input.
Here is a short description of some of the changes implemented in Version 1.2:
1. The client has separate DNS entries for various components of the system. Some of the DNS entries are currently still pointing to the same machine, but in future will be pointing to specific servers handling different aspects of the client/server interaction.
2. The way in which the node communicates with any of the servers has been changed. This change was aimed at decreasing network traffic after the server was not available for short periods of time. This should significantly improve the network usage for users with several nodes on a LAN.
3. For the Windows Client, the automatic network detection has been switched off. Clients running on other platforms never had this feature. The "on-line" switch under preferences is now solely responsible for allowing/disallowing the client to communicate with the server. When the switch is on, the client will attempt to communicate with the server and for users with modem connections will prompt the user to connect to the internet.
4. The assignment of WU and the download of results have been batched to reduce network traffic (access requests) and to increase reliability of down/up loads.
5. The user statistics are preprocessed on the client to improve performance and reliability of the statistics server.
6. The statistics updates are handled by a separate process on the server. This will improve the performance of both the result handler and the statistics server.
7. User registration is now handled by a physically separate server. This should eliminate registration problems reported by the community.
8. A physically separate Web-server is used to distribute broadcast messages, configuration files etc. This will improve the scalability of the project.
This is the first major release in a short line of releases to Version 2.0 We have addressed several problems commonly reported by the community and are continuing to work hard to improve the reliability of the system.
Best regards and happy crunching!
Senior Research Scientist - Chemistry/Informatics
The Rothberg Institute